Children have somewhat different symptoms of depression than adults. What signals childhood depression?
Depression in children can be hard to diagnose in its early stages. That’s where grandparents come in: a second set of eyes so to speak.
Since children have somewhat different symptoms of depression than adults, what signals childhood depression?
1. Mood change: Gloomy, sad, unhappy, despairing, or hopeless feelings.
2. Change in appetite: Loss of interest in food or effortless weight loss is more common than overeating.
3. Sleep change: Regular problems with falling asleep–or wakening early without being able to go back to sleep–could signal depression.
4. Changes in school work.
5. Changes in socialization.
6. Overreacting to criticism.
7. Sexual promiscuity.
9. Thoughts or threats of suicide.
10. Healthy, well child complaining of illness.
Review Annabell Buy Annabell
Review All Trucks Buy truck
Kids Love the Wiggles! Review All the Wiggles
Helping Heroes Review All Rescue Heroes and Vehicles
VeggieTales Don’t Sink in the Sink! Board Game Review Game | Buy Game
Cranium Board Game Review game | Buy game | Buy Booster Box 2 Note: Booster Box 2 is essentially Cranium Primo giving you two games instead of one. Review
ThinkFun Oodles of Doodles Board Game Review Game | Buy Game
12. Changes in activity levels: Children may seem to be operating in slow motion or seem constantly jittery or agitated, even hyperactive.
No depressed child has all of the above symptoms but even one symptom deserves your attention.
Early diagnosis and treatment by professionals are essential to children who are experiencing depression.
Once your grandchild has experienced major depression, he or she is at risk of developing another depression in less than five years.
Review mat | Buy mat
Go Away Monster! Board Game Review game | Buy game
Don’t Make Me Laugh, Jr Board Game Review Game | Buy Game
Zingo Board Game Review Game | Buy Game
Tin box Version Cranium’s Cadoo, Family Game Review game | Buy game
Review book Buy this book
CyberParent Recommends for GrandParents and GrandKids
Review toy | Buy toy Buy extra balls
Review toy | Buy toy
Review Ready Bed with easily inflatable mattresses for grandkids’ visits or popular gifts.
GreenBuilding and Remodeling
Contact CyberParentCopyright © 1997-2008 CyberParent . All rights reserved. Note: The opinions expressed herein are exclusively those of the writers and do not necessarily reflect the position of CyberParent. They are not intended to take the place of the expertise of a health professional whose advice you might need to seek.