Seniors Cohousing Right
Is Senior, Elder Cohousing Right for You?
Is SeniorCohousing Right for You?
There are several questions to ask yourself before moving into senior cohousing.
The same type of senior housing (orsenior cohousing community) that is right forone retired person may not be right for the next one.
Think about cohousing for a fewminutes. How do you determine if cohousing is a good place for you tospend the rest of your life?
You are old enough to know that nosituations or relationshipsareperfect. But everyone has concerns about those matters and some of those concerns are very importantissues. Yet we often get bogged down by inconsequential issues that are reallyof no great importance to us.
The first step in determining ifcohousing is right for you, then, is to prepare questions about the really important issues in your life whilepreparing to let less important items slide.
Now that you have narrowed your list down to yourmajor issues, the second step is to go to meetings and ask questions about them.
Listen to the answers, of course,but just as important, watch the body language of people who are not responding.This will help you to avoid disparities between your wishes and those of theothers who will share your life.
The following are some examples of questions you might askyourself.
1. Whatattracts you about living in cohousing?
Social times, shared meals, vegetablegardening, cooking, working in the shop, more free time, less free time…
2. The support system of cohousing communities is awonderful benefit but it is a two-way street. How will you feel about people whoask for your support or favors?
3. Living in cohousing is often described as up-close and personal. How good are you at establishing your own boundariesand respecting the privacy and boundaries of others?
4. Will you enjoy your monthly work time that keeps the communityoperational, keeps costs down, and builds friendships?
5. How do you handle controlling people and conflict situations?
6. How will you handle other residents’ pets,grandchildren, or other guests?
7. Do you have unusual diet or food preferences?
8. Would you prefer living with allages or your own age?
Senior Cohousing Directory
Active Lifestyle of ElderCohousing
Copyright © CyberParent, 2005-2010. All rights reserved.
Note: The opinions expressedherein are exclusively those of the writers or other participants and do not necessarily reflect theposition of CyberParent. They are not intended to take the place of advice of ahealth, legal, or other professional whose expertise you might need to seek.