If you’re a foodie, you know that most food fads come and go. But one that’s stood the test of time is the classic fish cake. In fact, they’ve been around since the 19th century!
If you’re wondering how to make a fish cake, you’ve come to the right place. Check out these fantastic fish cake recipes for the ultimate seafood treat.
1. Good Old-Fashioned Fish Cakes
Fish cakes made of cod are number one because they’re the easiest to make. Use leftover fish or just make them from scratch using this easy fish cake recipe.
- 1 lb cooked cod
- 3/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tbsp seafood seasoning
- 1/2 cup green onion (sliced)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- A squeeze of lime
- Bake your cod in the oven for an easy option, or fry it up in a frying pan. Whatever you do to cook it, season it with salt, pepper, lime and make sure it’s cooked through.
- Place all ingredients into a large mixing bowl and stir together. Flake up the fish with a fork as you mix.
- Divide the mixture into small patties. Press them flat and mold them into the chosen shape. This recipe will make 16 small fish cakes, but if you make them bigger they’ll take longer to cook.
- Heat a large skillet and add cooking oil. Fry your fish cakes until they look golden brown.
Pair them with tartar sauce and chunky fries for a traditional meal that’ll tingle your tastebuds.
2. Surprising Salmon Fish Cakes
When making fish cakes, most choose fish that’s not too oily. But surprisingly, a tender piece of salmon makes the perfect ingredient for a summertime fish cake.
- 1 lb Potatoes
- 3 salmon fillets
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 tsp tomato sauce
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 tbsp chopped dill
- Salt and pepper to taste
- A squeeze of lemon
- Boil the potatoes in a pan of water. Leave to cool down and mash.
- Season the salmon with salt and pepper. Grill for 5-6 minutes or until just cooked. Let them cool, then break the fillets into large flakes.
- In a bowl, mix the mashed potato, salmon, parsley, dill, and condiments. Make sure not to mash it up too much.
- Shape into 6 small fish cakes.
- Separate the flour, egg, and breadcrumbs into three shallow bowls. Dip the fish cakes into the flour, then into the egg, then coat in breadcrumbs.
- Fry the patties in a skillet on each side until deep golden.
Serve with salad and a lemon wedge for a zesty treat in the summertime.
3. Classy Crab Cakes
Crab cakes are basically classy fish cakes. To add a touch of class to any dinner party, why not try this recipe for fish cakes.
- 1 lb crab meat
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp mustard
- 1/2 tsp hot sauce
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 egg
- 15 saltine crackers
- Whisk the mayonnaise, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, and the egg until smooth.
- Toss chopped crabmeat with crushed saltine crackers. Fold in the mixture above. Cover and leave in the fridge for one hour.
- Create 8 evenly sized patties and flatten them. Fry the crab cakes in shallow oil until deeply golden.
Pair with homemade coleslaw and warm potato salad for a scrumptious meal.
But if these crab cakes sound complicated to make yourself, don’t worry. Sneak out and buy crab cakes. You can enjoy the taste, without the work! Fish is a healthy food full of good oils for the body and is a good way to give proper nutrition to kids and adults.
For more lip-smacking recipes and tips on a healthy diet, check out the Nutrition section of our blog.