Uses Common House
Uses for Common House in Senior Cohousing/Ecovillage
Make Good Use of Your Common House
It is up to the residents of senior cohousing to make the best use of their common house. A common-house committee is a good place to start in senior cohousing.
If you are living in cohousing or an ecovillage, you almost certainly have a common house controlled by the residents. If you live in other senior housing, you probably have community space, although resident control is almost certainly limited. Most management firms will be sensitive to residents’ desires, however, so ask for what you want.
- Start book or movie discussion groups.
- Organize movie or music nights.
- Offer Flu Shots and Pneumonia Vaccines in the common house. Contact a home health agency that will send nurses on-site to give shots.
- Plan exercise classes such as yoga or low-impact aerobics.
- Start a lending library for books and videos.
- Organize health speakers to come periodically to discuss topics such as diet and health, long-term care insurance, exercise, or interactions between prescription medicine and over the counter items.
- Organize other speakers to come periodically to discuss non-health matters such as organic gardening, financial issues, or travel.
- Organize socials other than shared meals are important to many members.
- Organize a Health Fair-A home health agency can help set up a health fair in the common house that could provide blood pressure screening plus diet information and health education to seniors in your community.
- Organize/Produce a talent show or theatrical production. Some in your group will almost surely enjoy participating while others will enjoy watching.
- Start a common house committee that gets things done.
Senior CohousingCheck out Dallas-Fort Worth
Senior Cohousing Directory
Active Lifestyle of ElderCohousingAging Gracefully in Elder CohousingBenefits of Senior CohousingCars, Who Needs Them?Common Areas in SeniorCohousingCosts of Elder Cohousing Do Rentals Make Sense for SeniorCohousing?Ecohousing: WhyBuild Green?Features of Senior CohousingFinding a Senior CohousingCommunityGood Neighbor InformationHot Spots in Community DecisionsIndividual Privacy in Senior CohousingIs Senior Cohousing Right for You?Locate a Senior CohousingCommunityMake Good Use of Your Common HouseMeanwhile, Back at theCommon HouseOutdoor Common Areas for Senior CohousingTherapeutic Community Gardens forSeniorsWhat Kind of Housing Do Seniors Want?Why Elder Housing?Seniors and Loneliness WhereDo Pre-Retirees Want to Live?Younger Facesin Senior Cohousing Senior &Intergenerational Cohousers Fit Few Lonely Seniorsin Elder CohousingDeciding Where to Live
Note: The opinions expressedherein are exclusively those of the writers or other participants and do not necessarily reflect theposition of CyberParent. They are not intended to take the place of advice of ahealth, legal, or other professional whose expertise you might need to seek.