Conserve Hot Water Energy
Saver Hot Water Energy, Conserve Hot Water, Solar Thermal,, solar hot water, domestic hot water, Renewable Energy, Alternative Energies, Solar, Wind, Geothermal, Renewables News DFW, Dallas Fort Worth North Texas North Central Texas Solar Thermal
Conserve EnergyWhen Heating WaterSolar Hot Water for aGreen Homeor Business
DFWHome Radio ArchivesNews/Events EnergyAudit GreenBuilding GreenEconomics GreenRemodel ConsultRenewable EnergySolar ElectricitySolar Hot WaterSolar Pool HeatingRainwaterWindDFW Green Buildinge-Letter DFWRenewable Energy e-Letter DFWSustainable Living e-Letter
News of Renewable & Alternative Energy
Join our email list here
Renewable Energy & Green ServicesConsultingEconomics of GreenEnergy Audits Green Building Green Remodeling RainwaterHarvesting Renewable EnergySolar Electric Solar Hot WaterWind EnergyGlossary
Although it is not financially feasible at this time to replace a natural gas hot water system with a solar hot water system (read solar hot water vs. natural gas hot water here), hot water conservation practices will save energy and dollars for home and business owners who use natural gas to heat water.
1. Use cold water for cleaning.
2. Use cold water for washing clothes. There are many detergents formulated for washing in cold water. Also, there are times that cold water does not set a stain that hot water might set.
3. If washing dishes by hand, rinse in cold water.
4. Use cold water to operate your garbage disposal. That is the recommendation of most disposal manufacturers.
5. Do not run hot water needlessly.
6. Many new water heaters have a “vacation” setting you can use to save energy if you’re away for more than a few days. Turn the thermostat “down” or “off” when you’re gone for more than three days.
7. Once your water is hot, insulation will help keep it that way.
Wrap exposed hot water pipes with insulation. This minimizes heat loss, particularly if pipes run through unconditioned areas. Even insulating the first three or four feet of pipes entering and leaving the tank can help.
If your hot water heater is old or is hot to the touch, consider installing an R-12 insulation blanket around your hot water storage tank, However, modern hot water tanks are well-insulated and additional insulation will not save a large amount of energy. Plus, some manufacturers do not recommend wrapping the tank so read and follow the instructions.
8. Teach your children good conservation practices.
Conservation of Water and Energy
Solar Hot Water vs. Natural Gas Hot Water
Back to Solar Hot Water Directory
Do you need an energy consultant, energy auditor, green builder, or green remodeler in North Central Texas or the Dallas-Fort Worth area?Are you purchasing or building a home?Ready to add renewable energy?Interested in living more sustainably?Contact Terry JensenFrugal Energy, LLC 972 251-1532 or 817 443-2553 Just have a question or two?Please call. If I can answer withoutseeing your home or business, I will do so at no charge.
Green & Renewable Energy 972 251-1532 or 817 443-2553
Subscribe to free Dallas-Fort Worth Renewable Energy e-newsletter
Sent periodically with home remodeling news and information. Also includes calendar of green events and classes.
Home Contact Consult
Note: The opinions expressedherein are exclusively those of the writers or other participants and do not necessarily reflect theposition of CyberParent. They are not intended to take the place of advice of ahealth, legal, or other professional whose expertise you might need to seek.