The Art of Frugal Gifts and Gift Discoveries
Gifts and Gift Giving: The secret to giving a wonderful, but a frugal, gift is a combination of time and thought for that gift.
The secret to giving a wonderful, but a frugal, gift is a combination of time and thought for that gift.
Gifts and the giving of gifts: It truly is the thought that counts with gifts. If you are thoughtful and take your time, you can give everyone precious gifts–a gift that money could never buy.
1. Time: It does take time to find perfect, but inexpensive gifts. If you don’t have time to spare, you need to start early to give yourself extra time to browse or create!
2. Thought: Make a permanent list of everyone in your life who deserves a gift from you. Think about that person and any gift you have ever seen light up his/her eyes. Make a note of that gift or gifts, along with at least three personal interests and hobbies. Before each gift shopping spree, review that list, then take it with you, of course.
Try the second-hand stores.
Second-hand stores, even thrift stores, can harbor gifts for every person on your list. Go with your list in hand and three interests of that person. You may not find the perfect gift for everyone on your first try, but go back again and the best gift imaginable may be waiting for you
Books as a Gift.
Try used or discount book stores for a perfect gift for everyone on your list.Here is how:
1. List all who need a gift
2. Beside each name, list three interests appropriate for a gift.
3. Think about the reading habits of each person
Do they like to read? If so, a book is the perfect gift!
- Are they more visual? If so, a book is still a good gift, but look for one with many illustrations or photographs. You can also give a video or DVD
- Do they read to learn or like to learn? If so, a non-fiction book on one of their interests is an excellent gift.
- Do they read to relax? If so, fiction books make gifts for them easy. A local book store near us has many fiction paperbacks for $1 each. A box of paperbacks would be a near-perfect gift. Yes, they may have read one or two but that won’t matter. Or keep an eye out for garage sales.
- If you are a reader of fiction paperbacks, keep your gently-read books for a period of time. Box them up as a gift for another paperback reader.
- Are they “fixer-uppers.” A “How-to’ book is a good gift for this person.
Create a Gift.
This is a subject in itself. Even if you are not creative, you can use our ideas to create a gift for someone special. Create gifts.
Buy a Gift with Another Person.
Maybe you and your siblings can get mom and dad a nice gift by joining forces and pocketbooks.
It truly is the thought that counts with gifts. If you are thoughtful and take your time, you can give everyone precious gifts–a gift that money could never buy.