In order to find your passion in life, you’ve got to be willing to become intimately familiar with yourself. You must know:
- What drives you.
- What inspires you.
- What excites you.
- What engages you.
- What scares you.
- What you do naturally well.
- What you pretend to like but don’t.
- What lies you are saying to yourself.
As you become more familiar with yourself, you will be able to determine what is most important in the limited time you have in a day, a year and even throughout your lifetime. In doing this, you can maximize your time doing more of what you love and less of what you don’t love.
Most of us are so busy reacting to events in our current lives that we don’t allow the time to examine what’s not working well and why. We certainly don’t take the time to ask ourselves those deeper, probing questions that unearth our true selves and buried longings.
If we really want to find our passion and purpose in life, we need to take the time to ask ourselves those tough and challenging questions.
Here are some profound self-reflection questions you can ask yourself to find your true passion:
25 Questions for Finding Your Passion in Life
Take the time to answer these questions fully, writing down your answers if possible. Be completely honest with yourself – no one else needs to see your answers!
- What areas of your current life do you find fulfilling, meaningful, enjoyable and important?
- What areas of your current life makes you stressed and anxious, wastes your time or drains you?
- If money wasn’t an issue, how would you spend your time?
- What are some childhood interest or dreams you were never able to explore fully but still find intriguing?
- If you could pick 3 things that you were remembered for after you die, what would they be?
- What skills or talents do you have that you are passionate about using?
- What skills or talents do you have that you are not passionate about using?
- During an average week, how much of your time is spent doing things you dislike or feel waste your time?
- What lies are you currently telling yourself and others about who you are, what’s important to you and what you’re passionate about?
- What is preventing you from pursuing your primary passion in life?
- Can you tolerate some risk and uncertainty in relations to finding your passion and, if so, how much?
- What do you prioritize over pursuing your main passion in life? (Income? Job? Lifestyle? Home?)
- What fears are holding you back from committing to pursuing your primary passion in life?
- What actions can you take to reduce and manage this fear?
- Is there anyone in your life who is preventing you from pursuing your passion? How are they holding you back? Are you willing to disengage from them?
- What hobbies or interests have you had that intrigue you and that you might consider pursuing as a life passion?
- If you think you know what your passion is, what have you done to learn more about it and experience it?
- What is the worse thing that could happen if you decided to commit fully to pursuing your passion? What is the likelihood of this happening?
- What are the things you’d really like to achieve or accomplish with your life before you die?
- How has living a less-than-passionate life affected you?